We’re Hiring: Front End Web Designer
WHAT TO EXPECT:
At Wonderist Agency, we guarantee you’ll have problems to solve. You’ll be dragged into projects in the 11th hour. And you’ll be expected to create and contribute to our ever-evolving processes. The work isn’t easy. It’s dental. And there’s plenty to go around.
We need a skilled Front End Web Designer with the flexibility to turn on your heels when priorities change, the thoughtfulness to do what’s in the best interest of the team, and the desire to always produce your best work. We do what’s right for the client, not just what’s easy. And that’s what makes our jobs gratifying. Along with unlimited PTO and a dog-friendly office, these are some of the reasons Wonderist Agency has been voted one of San Diego's Best Places to Work.
We are a fast-growing startup of over 35, and that means we’re agile. We’re able to try new things and experiment. It also means we make time to celebrate the work, each other when we hit our quarterly goals, or every Friday at 5 pm. Our favorite dive bar, Desi’s, is just down the street and right across from Liberty Station, so we’ve got our location going for us.
Basically, we need someone who’s willing to work really hard and doesn’t get discouraged when a client or project is going off the rails. So if you’ve got a lot of grit and an equal amount of gumption, keep reading...
The Front End Web Designer will be responsible for creative content management design and ongoing maintenance, building client marketing websites that drive leads and convert leads to customers. This role is design-focused and requires no coding experience, however foundational understanding of CSS and HTML is a plus. We are looking for a creative designer interested in executing front end web projects, directly applying their creativity to websites during the build process. A strong eye for design, organized workflow, and ability to multi-task is essential.
- Designing & Building Websites: You will be designing & building your own websites as well as building custom websites proofed by our Design team. Using a visual, drag and drop content management system, you will create unique, aesthetically exciting websites that reflect the clients’ brand while adhering to our high quality standards.
- Ongoing Maintenance: Our client relationships don’t end when the website launches. Our clients will submit post-launch update requests that you will vet for clarity and scope, make recommendations on, and ultimately execute.
- Creative Direction: Conceptualizing page layouts, animations and user interactions are critical to successful website projects. You will provide clients with suggested color palettes, typography pairings, and high-level page layouts prior to full build-out.
- Quality Assurance: You ensure that your own work and that of your peers is branded appropriately for each client, accurate, and high-quality. From reviewing appropriate padding, alignment and animation execution to testing mobile device responsiveness, you will always strive for an aesthetic that is fresh and effective.
- Marketing Strategy: You will make recommendations on design, conversion opportunities, and user experience to make the most of a client’s marketing package. You will participate in client kick-off calls and speak directly with the end client. You think critically and make judgements in the best interest of the website visitor.
- Intuitive Communication: You will interface directly with clients at specific touch points and will be responsible for communicating clearly and effectively, both with clients and internal teams. You must be personable, professional, and responsive. You will need to know when to ask the right questions and be prepared to get answers to our front line sales and account management teams quickly and accurately.
- Obsessive Attention to Detail: Front End Web Designers must recognize when spacing isn’t quite right or an extra digit exists in a phone number. You will share accountability for the accuracy and quality of our company’s work. Attention to detail is crucial, so please include the title of your favorite movie or book at the beginning of your email or application.
- Expert Organization and Project Management: If someone asks you to describe yourself and you wouldn't say "organized," you need not apply. Front End Web Designers must be organized and able to multitask many projects at once, hitting your deliverable deadlines at various stages of the project lifecycle. A honed sense of urgency in order to prioritize your workload is paramount to success at our agency.
- Keen Analytical Skills: We measure everything we do by its ROI. You will need a basic understanding of marketing metrics and KPIs, along with the ability to dissect and solve problems through data. Working on and with the web team, you will need to be able to recognize when an approach isn’t working and make suggestions to improve our processes and procedures in order to gain back efficiencies that ultimately benefit our clients’ website projects.
- “Big Picture” Thinking and Knowledge of Digital Marketing: Every digital marketing service we offer ties into the next. When a client makes a request to update their website, how will that affect their SEO or PPC campaigns? We need someone who can see the connections and make good choices for both the client and the agency as a whole.
- Resourceful and Confident Self-Starter: Once you learn the ropes, we’ll expect you to own your projects to keep them moving forward. You will need to take the initiative to make decisions and recommendations, and to follow up with Account Managers to progress projects and hit our monthly projections. You will solve problems every single day, so we need someone with a solutions-oriented mind.
- Takes Pride In Work: We need someone who takes any project, big or small, and puts everything they have into it. Mistakes are okay. Sloppiness is not.
Our perfect fit is someone who is a problem solver who understands the difference between “yes, and…” and “yes, but…”. You should be a hungry, scrappy personality with a positive attitude and aims to deliver. Working in the client service industry can mean going the extra mile, and we need someone who is always willing to rise to the occasion for our clients and strives to put forward beautiful work that exceeds client expectations. Someone who is detailed and organized, driven and displays vigor and comes ready to play every day. Confidence, self-discipline, and a congenial, curious mind are things we love and admire.
- 2+ years designing website layouts
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS) such as Webflow, WordPress, SquareSpace, Duda or Wix.
- Foundational but basic understanding of HTML, CSS and how they work together
- A passion for helping clients and small businesses succeed
Bonus Points for Applicants With…
(if you don’t have these but are organized and want to learn, we want to hear from you!)
- Volume web design experience in an agency setting
- Digital marketing experience (including but not limited to: Google Analytics, Google Ads, SEO, Social Media Content and Ads Management)
- Project management experience
- UX/UI design background
- Knowledge of dental industry or dental services